Counting https://download.whonix.org/whonixdevelopermetafiles/internal/news_v4/ file downloads isn't great, since multiple Whonix-Workstations on the same computer downloading that file will mess up counting.
We need a file that is only downloaded by Whonix-Gateway. And only downloaded at most once per day so we can count daily users.
- no private info transferred at all
- adds no additional risk other than that of apt-get communicating with Whonix servers which users are doing anyway to their systems updated.
- only on Whonix-Gateway
- no unique identifiers of any kind
- all transmissions go through Tor
- all transmissions are using Whonix's Tor onion v3 service
- so we will never collect any IP addresses
- submissions happen at randomized times
- only one submission within 24 hours
- can be easily disabled
This ticket was implemented and probably won't be updated any further. This functionality is documented here: