We have https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md but formalizing it in form of a CLA, DCO or FLA should be done some day. Patrick and Hula like the FLA. Needs research.
There is a tension between encouraging new contributions and making sure legal issues are settled.
- info: http://producingoss.com/en/copyright-assignment.html
- CLA: http://harmonyagreements.org/
- DCO: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches under 12) Sign your work
- FLA: https://fsfe.org/activities/ftf/fla.en.html
- Q&A: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/168020/how-signing-out-a-cla-prevents-legal-issues-in-open-source-projects/168026#168026
Perhaps we can make consent part of the pull request (via CLAHub)? This feature is in development but perhaps stalled:
phabricator has a sign document feature. Interesting is both, the signature feature as well as their wording. See:
(And they got a separate one for cooperates: