It causes some confusion every now and then why it never changes.
There should be a link in whonixcheck for "Whonix Build Version".
Short technical explanation:
- at build time, the https://github.com/Whonix/anon-shared-build-log-build-version package does in essence
- echo "$anon_dist_build_version" > "/var/lib/anon-dist/build_version"
- it's there so whonixcheck can find out which version of the build script has created that version
- that version number is supposed to never change
- this is because sometimes updating or other issues do only apply to version created by specific, mostly older versions of the build script
- this helps with diagnostic purposes
- therefore, should we ever need to deprecate a specific build version (because it would be too difficult/expensive to upgrade), then whonixcheck's Whonix News (https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Whonix_News) could inform about this