Looks good for documenting the process.
Would suggest also documenting what the components are of the numbering format and how the numbers increment.
- What is the original starting point for package version numbers?
- The numbering format is "X:X.X-X" or "X.X-X"?
- What does the "X:" position represent?
- What does the "X." position represent?
- What does the ".X" position represent?
- What does the "-X" position represent?
- Does "1.9" increment to "1.10" or "2.0"?
- Anything else you think of related to understanding the numbering format.